Journalistic Ethics

Journalism Ethics

3 replies to this topic

#1 TimSPOnG

MainMan

• Administrators
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:47

I've left it for a week to get some perspective but I'm writing an piece about the Eurogamer vs MCV + GMAs ethics subject. What I'd love to know is whether any of you, the readers of our work and the consumers of what we write about, give a hoot about the subject.

I need some perspective basically.

Any thoughts?
Managing Editor of SPOnG.com

If you've got a complaint: tim@spong.com or on the forum

(Go here for good feelings)

#2 The Sonic Mole

SPOnGster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:53

Tim

I think consumers/readers should care, as should the video game media. Many consumers choose where they spend their money based on the work of games journalists and If they are perceived to be in the pockets of PR it is damaging for the media. I personally don't believe that there is wide spread "corruption". There is however, a need for the media to understand how their relationship with PR is perceived by their audience. Additionally, it's evident that consumers/readers need educating on the mechanics of the gaming press. I have been reading gaming publications, print or otherwise, since the late 80s, but could not tell you a thing about how those publications work. I imagine I'm not alone.

The writers who got the flack last week are not corrupt, I must add. I just think they were a little naive. Also, the points Florence made in his article were valid ones. However, he was irresponsible "naming and shaming" as he did. It's evident that he's aware of how influential he is within the video game community. As such I would expect him to play a more tactful game - but I guess that's not his modus operandi.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

#3 Sly Reflex

ModMan

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:57

The person reviewing the game should get the game code and the game code only. Anything beyond that can skew opinions. I'd avoid giving a reviewer a game they are really looking forward to or massive fans of that particular series, I've read quite a few reviews where it's clear the game is being marked up or down simply because the person reviewing has a hard on or a dislike for the series beforehand.

When I look at supposedly respected journo's over at places like Giant Bomb and I watch them play games it sometimes feels like almost anyone could do a better job than them. They don't know dates, prices, what platform they are coming out on, even when all this information is out there for them to take. It's lazy, most amaetuer outfits can get stuff like that correct. I remember watching a SotC quick look and it was embarrassing for so called gamers to fuck it up as bad as they did. Simple mechanics that any gamer would grab onto in minutes. It is frustrating that we are told that it's stuff like this that is the best of what gaming journalism has to offer.

It all seems very suspicious and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

#4 Tyrion

MainMan

• Administrators
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:43

I agree that the person reviewing the release code should not have been to any of the promotional events or have seen the pre-release code if possible, but I do think a fan of the series can give some insight into how a game has progressed.

For example, I've reviewed most of the God of War games for SPOnG as well as the more recent Tomb Raider games. These are series I really enjoy and look forward to, but I can use that experience to spot where later games have changed from the previous ones and inform other fans of the series of this.

However, a fresh perspective is also very valuable, but you will get some of those "noob" errors you're talking about with this approach. Fans of the series will expect a certain approach and some of the mechanics that seem "wrong" to a newcomer will be perfectly natural for a veteran.

Of course, a good reviewer should be able to make that distinction and point it out. I'm in no way saying I'm always that good, but I do try to see things from a new player's perspective when I can.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users