- - - - -

2012 Backlog

26 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrion

MainMan

• Administrators
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:19

Which games are you going to try and play this year that you "missed" last year?

Maybe you got them for Xmas and haven't played them. Maybe they just passed you by, but you've heard good things in end of year round-ups, like Joypod's Podcast.

For myself, I have the following:

Hitman: Absolution I have to complete this properly after rushing through the story for my review. I also want a better look at Contracts mode.

Assassin's Creed III: This may have to take priority over Hitman as I want to see the end of Desmond's story.

Walking Dead: I didn't "get" the TV series, so I avoided this, but Elmo's constant lauding of it has me interested.

Unfinished Swan: I've been recommended this by Tim and it's been on my radar since it was announced, but it somehow slipped past.

Dishonored: I just need to play more of this, I got onto the first true mission and had to stop to play Hitman for review and never got back to it.

So what do you need to catch up on? Or is there something you'd like to recommend to others?

I'd like to push Journey to anybody that hasn't played it yet, get it with Unfinished Swan and try both!
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

#2 PhilWal

SPOnGster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 23:52

Hey, I'll play Journey and Unfinished Swan if you buy me a PS3! 8-P

Currently bashing my head against the brick wall that is Dark Souls. After that there's Binary Domain, Need for Speed, and Rage.

#3 little-miss-c4

SPOnGster

• Full Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 15:56

the games that im going to be getting into are thanks to steam sales

Nuclear Dawn played the free weekend last year and loved it

Sonic Adventure 2 prob 1 of the last games i got on my DC loved it so need to play it again

NiGHTS into Dreams fanaly on steam yay love this on my saturn but my 3d stick is dead and trying to play with dpad dont work lol

Ridge Racer Unbounded loveed the demo just did not want to pay full price

Street Fighter X Tekken like i said if its gose in the steam sale i will get it and it did so i did

#4 miacid

SPOnGster

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:09

Currently playing Far Cry 3

Then onto Dishonored and after that will be Borderlands 2.

Plus I still play a lot of Battlefield 3 (not 2012 I know but still!)

All on PS3

I played Journey and will probably go back to it at some point when I play through it in one go.

#5 Tyrion

MainMan

• Administrators
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 19:41

Well, I started AC III last night. Bit troubled by the new model for Desmond, looks less human like. Plus that ship you to to America on is the most stable I've ever seen in such rough seas!

miacid, I think you only get the full impact of Journey if you play it straight through. It also helps if you play online and get a companion of about the same experience as you.

#6 Sly Reflex

ModMan

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:15

Yeah, Journey is meant to be shared.

#7 miacid

SPOnGster

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:09

When I played Journey it was over a few sittings and I ended up playing with others, some better some worse than me. So I'm hoping by now if I can get through it in one go, I'll do so with an experienced companion,

#8 CyberJohn

SPOnGster

• Full Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 00:10

Dishonored. Installed and played for an hour. Should I continue and why (I usually kill aliens and robots)? Help me.

#9 elmo

Founder

• Moderators
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:10

View PostCyberJohn, on 21 January 2013 - 00:10, said:

Dishonored. Installed and played for an hour. Should I continue and why (I usually kill aliens and robots)? Help me.

Absolutely, if you're not interested in the stealth stuff, just go mental and kill everything.

#10 Tyrion

MainMan

• Administrators
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:17

I started Dishonored and then got dragged off to review Hitman and haven't returned. Now I've got ACIII and Hitman HD to get get through too and Tomb Raider is only a little way off.

I need more time, dammit!

#11 elmo

Founder

• Moderators
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:52

Playing through Far Cry 3 at the moment. It's really hard to get into but i'm certainly getting there.

#12 miacid

SPOnGster

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:58

Stick with Far Cry 3 and get hunting so you can expand your inventory. I enjoyed this game much more than I expected, everything from the way the engine handles the environment to the different side quest you can do. Such fun can be had with many different elements of this as well but I leave those for you to find out as everyone will approach situations differently.

#13 Sly Reflex

ModMan

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:12

I wasn't bothered about far Cry 3 until I saw that Scottish video that was floating about. He had similar views to me on the previous games, but his experiences and delivery talking about Far Cry 3 made me want to try it at least.

#14 miacid

SPOnGster

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:27

Do you have a link to that video? Even though I've completed it'd still be interested in having a look.

Sly, are you now playing it?
Elmo, how are you finding it?

I only got it as it was in Game for less than £25 before Christmas and I fancied something different, I was a bit dubious as had played 2 and really didn't like it.

#15 Sly Reflex

ModMan

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34

I don't have it yet, I've got a lot on my plate gaming wise. Too many games, not enough time. I think most gamers can relate to this problem.

#16 elmo

Founder

• Moderators
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 14:34

Finished it Friday night. Really enjoyed it but it does have a fair few flaws. The story is pretty terrible and i wasn't a massive fan of the outposts. But a fun game all the same.

Next up on the 2012 backlog is Hitman Absolution. I've never played a hitman game to be honest so it could get interesting!

#17 Tyrion

MainMan

• Administrators
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:31

Absolution is quite a different game from the rest, but has a very similar style of gameplay.

If you want the best "classic" Hitman, try Blood Money, it's more focussed than Absolution. On the other hand, it's a lot more difficult.

Classic Hitman was a lot like Groundhog Day where you go so far and fail, but learn then do the same thing again, but change the bit where you failed, go a bit further and fail, etc.

Absolution has levels like that, but they are shorter and less flexible, plus the story keeps you moving on, so "good enough" is a reason to move on to the next part.

I enjoyed both very much, but for my tastes Blood Money is a better game.

#18 elmo

Founder

• Moderators
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:07

View PostTyrion, on 19 February 2013 - 08:31, said:

Absolution is quite a different game from the rest, but has a very similar style of gameplay.

If you want the best "classic" Hitman, try Blood Money, it's more focussed than Absolution. On the other hand, it's a lot more difficult.

Classic Hitman was a lot like Groundhog Day where you go so far and fail, but learn then do the same thing again, but change the bit where you failed, go a bit further and fail, etc.

Absolution has levels like that, but they are shorter and less flexible, plus the story keeps you moving on, so "good enough" is a reason to move on to the next part.

I enjoyed both very much, but for my tastes Blood Money is a better game.

Yeah in totally going to use it as an entry level Hitman game. If I Enjoy this I can always go back and play Blood Money after.

#19 Sly Reflex

ModMan

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 14:58

Blood Money is a fine game. It's amazing how peoples stories vary from doing missions as well, so many ways to kill.

#20 miacid

SPOnGster

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:14

I've not played any of the Hitman games but have long considered trying them, I'm currently playing through Dishoned and liking the fact that you can be stealthy (if you want to) but still do lots of killing if you want as well. Is this anything like Hitman?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users